Mangta Falls, located in Poblacion, Bakun, Benguet, is now drawing tourists’ attention among its former waterfalls competitors in the area because of its breathtaking beauty and natural plunge pool.
When waterfalls started to become part of hiking itineraries in Bakun, Mangta Falls is commonly not included. Unlike Pattan Falls, its remoteness from mountain hiking paths could be a big factor. In fact, the previous local tourism guideline only includes Mangta Falls in one tour package but not as an stand-alone destination. Fortunately, as of early 2019, this now has been remedied and Mangta Falls is now part of other packages and can also be visited as a single destination.
The Path to Mangta Falls
Going to Mangta Falls maybe arduous but has more rewards than your sheets of sweat. The chirping of birds, wild mushrooms, and mountain scenes are but some of the things that will divert your attention from your sore muscles.
You’ll also get to walk on foot bridges other than the typical one. This includes stairs over a giant waterpipe, stairs over gigantic hydro pipes, or just walk over these pipelines.
The Magnificent Mangta Waterfall
The waterfall is one of the major attraction of Mangta Falls. It is approxiamtely 20 meters high from the top until it drops in the natural pool. Unlike other falls that you can climb up to some extent, water falls through a steep wall that scaling it is impossible without necessary equipment. Instead, better take dip, swim or dive in its pool. Relieve your sore muscles in the clean and icy water.
The following images shows Mangta Falls in different angles.
To appreciate the beauty of Mangta Falls, the following videos captured the cascading of water until it plunges to the natural pool below.
The Mangta Pool
Mangta Falls is very unique from the other waterfalls in Bakun because of its plunge pool. The natural pool is approximately 12 feet deep and as wide as a single volleyball court. This is more than wide enough for tourists who wants to swim its clear waters.
The pool drains to a pipeline which draws water for the nearby Aboitiz hydroplant. Don’t get scare of getting swallowed by the gigantic pipe because it is located on the far right side of the pool and has safety bars across pipe mouth. Actually, be more scared of the chilly water if you want to take a dip.
Other Notable Waterfalls in Bakun
- Pattan falls
- Pikaw falls
- Sakup falls
- Tekip falls
- Tres Marias falls
- Bakun Trio (Mt. Tenglawan, Mt. Lobo, Mt. Kabunian)
- Nagasa Cave
Where to Stay in Bakun
- Option 1. Old Municipal Hall at Php80.00 per night per person. Pro: cheap. Cons: bring your own sleeping gears; food** not included.
- Option 2. Sagunday Transient at Php200.00 per night per person. Pros: you get to sleep in a bed with foam, bedding, CR, and with kitchen and cooking utensils (yes, you can cook and stores are a stone’s throw away. Con: food** not included.
** You can arrange with the barangay officials to cook for you at around Php200.00.
- Mr. Arthur Tolito (Municipal Tourism Officer): +63 921 211 3687
- Ms. Nenita Budas (BTC President): +63 918 352 3722
Expenses (food not included) as of May 2019
- Baguio City to Km. 5, La Trinidad: Php10.00
- Bus fare from La Trinidad to Bakun: Php180.00
- Accommodation: Php80.00-200.00
- Environmental fee: Php75.00 per person
- Guide fee (Per guide per group [max of 6 pax per group]. In excess of 6 members, additional heads will pay Php75.00 each. However, if the total participants are beyond 8, it is mandatory to have two guides. Further, in excess of the maximum hours, the guide will be paid additional Php50.00 per hour):
- Php700.00 (7 hours)
- There are also packages if you want to go to more than one waterfalls and/or site with Mangta Falls (valid for a day, unless specified):
- Mangta and Pattan falls: Php1000.00
- Mangta, Pattan, and Tekip falls: Php1300.00
- Mangta, Pattan, Pikaw and Tekip falls: Php1600.00
Can’t get enough of Bakun waterfalls? Visit the following page for more information on other waterfall packages:
- Always practice the LNT principles.
- Be early taking jeep from Baguio City to La Trinidad as traffic might get heavy.
- Get in touch with the contact persons listed above for to verify for any changes in transportation schedules, fees, temporary closure of sites, etc. This will also give them ample time to prepare for your accommodation.
- Be courteous to the locals, tourism and local guidelines, the culture, and of the place itself.
- Do not dare the pool if you do not know how to swim.
6 thoughts on “Mangta Falls, Bakun, Benguet”
Ang gandaaaa! Parang kurtina lang yung falls. MagBakun trio na ako after covid taz side trip ko waterfalls.