The Kapurpurawan Rock Formation is just a small portion of a major sedimentary basin in the country. This small portion had been mostly carved by winds and wave for centuries. This process revealed and smoothed the ivory part of the limestone boulder.
- Business hours
- Contact Person/Group/Website/Page
- Kapurpurawan Rock Formation
- How to get to Kapurpurawan Rock Formation
- Helpful local phrases
- Other notable nearby places
Disclaimer: The content of this article is based on personal experience as well as references to the date of publication. Changes may occur on contact details, transportation, fees, etc. With this, please do comment at the end of the article any updates as well as corrections on the content, anything amiss, or any information that you think is crucial to the readers. Thank you!
Address: Burgos, Ilocos Norte, Philippines
Coordinates: 18.53865764475781, 120.65346890147609
- Daytime business hours. Curfew may be imposed at some point and circumstance.
- Entrance Fee: None
- Phone: +63 (0908) 810 8654 to 55
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: http://www.ilocosnorte.ph/
- Social Media: Provincial Government of Ilocos Norte Facebook Page, Ilocos Norte Tourism Facebook Page
Kapurpurawan Rock Formation
Ilocos Norte is known to be a tourism magnet for its natural and man-made wonders. Aside from pristine beaches, the province also boasts some rock formations. Within the last decade, the Kapurpurawan Rock Formation became viral on social media.
The Kapurpurawan Rock Formation is located in the rocky coast of Burgos, around a kilometer and a half from Laoag, Ilocos Norte. In fact, it is only around a ten-minute drive from the historical Cape Bojeador Lighthouse and within the Burgos Wind Farm grid. Going further north along the coastline, the famous Bangui Bay and its Windmills can also be seen. The fifth class municipality is on the northwestern tip of Luzon.
The Kapurpurawan Rock Formation is just a small portion of a major sedimentary basin in the country. This small portion had been mostly carved by winds and wave for centuries. This process revealed and smoothed the ivory part of the limestone boulder. The bared color of the limestone hence gave birth to its name Kapurpurawan from the local term “puraw”, meaning white.
A study on 2017 also suggested that this rock formation is a part of Burgos Formation, a sedimentary basin that is formed even earlier than its nearby counterparts like Laoag Formation and Pasuquin Limestone . They arrived at this conclusion by dating the calcarenites in the area.
When you plan to visit the area, make sure to bring sun and eye protection as the ivory limestone is very bright under the sun. Also, make sure to bring a bottle of water.
In conclusion, Kapurpurawan Rock Formation is a good place to include in your Ilocos Norte itinerary. This gives break to the history-laden list of places in this province.
How to Get To Kapurpurawan Rock Formation
By land. Take any bus heading to Laoag City.
- Manila buses bound to Laoag City are Partas, Dominion Bus, Aniceto Bus, Viron Transit, Florida Bus Line, Fariñas Trans, Maria De Leon Bus Lines, RCJ Bus Lines and F. Franco Transit. Make sure it is bound to Laoag, though most of these buses also have Vigan to Laoag trips. There are tricycles and vans for hire which usually covers a group of tourist destinations in the province.
- From Baguio City, you can take a Partas bus near SM City Baguio or the ordinary mini-buses in Bayanihan. Make sure it is bound to Laoag, though most of these buses also have Vigan to Laoag trips. There are tricycles and vans for hire which usually covers a group of tourist destinations in the province.
- GMW Liner and Florida Liner have buses plying a vice versa Abra and Tuguegarao with a stop in Laoag City route. There are tricycles and vans for hire which usually covers a group of tourist destinations in the province.
By air. Cebu Pacific and Philippine Airlines flies from Manila to Laoag International Airport.
Helpful Local Phrases
- Good morning: Naimbag a bigat; Good afternoon: Naimbag a malem; Good day: Naimbag nga aldaw; Good evening: Naimbag a rabii
- How are you?: Kumusta
- Thank you: Agyamanak
- What is your name?: Ania ti nagan mo?
- I don’t understand: Diak maawatan
- How do I get to…?: Kasantnu ak a makapan sadiay…?
- One: maysa, two: duwa, three: tallo, four: uppat, five: lima, six: ennem, seven: pito, eight: walo, nine: siyam, ten: sangapulo
- How much is this?: Sagmamano daytoy?
- Help!: Arayat!
- Sorry: Pakawanennak
Other Notable Nearby Places
- Ilocos Norte:
- Sinking bell tower
- Cape Bojeador Lighthouse
- Burgos Wind Farm
- Museo Ilocos Norte
- Pagudpud Beaches
- Patapat Aqueduct
- Sand dunes
- Malacañang of the North
- Paoay Church
- Marcos Museum and Mausoleum
- Ilocos Sur:
 Callejo, G., Fernando, A. G., & Silva, L. 2017. New Age Assignment of the Kapurpurawan Rock Formation Calcarenite in Burgos Ilocos Norte Based on Planktonic Foraminiferal Assemblage [online]. Journal of Geological Society of the Philippines, pp. 27-41. Available at <https://www.researchgate.net/publication/322976452_New_Age_Assignment_of_the_Kapurpurawan_Rock_Formation_Calcarenite_in_Burgos_Ilocos_Norte_Based_on_Planktonic_Foraminiferal_Assemblage> [Accessed 22 March 2021].